What should you do with old batteries?

Batteries can be an environmental hazard if not disposed of properly.

Please read more on how to go about recycling batteries.

 

The correct process for recycling batteries

We use certified recycling agents to properly dismantle and reuse battery materials.

Currently, we only accept Lead Acid batteries for recycling.

Batteries consist of lead, Acid, Plastic and other materials that can be used again for new batteries.

 

How to avoid battery hazards

Batteries are safe, but caution is necessary when handling lead-acid batteries. Several countries label lead acid as hazardous material, and rightly so. Lead can be a health hazard if not properly handled.
 

Lead

Lead is a toxic metal that can enter the body by inhalation of lead dust or ingestion when touching the mouth with lead-contaminated hands.

If leaked onto the ground, acid and lead particles contaminate the soil and become airborne when dry.

 

Sulfuric Acid

The sulfuric acid in a lead-acid battery is highly corrosive.

Contact with your eye can cause permanent blindness.

Swallowing damages internal organs that can lead to death.

First aid treatment calls for flushing the skin for 10–15 minutes with large amounts of water to cool the affected tissue and to prevent secondary damage.

 

Ventilation

Charging batteries in living quarters should be safe, and this also applies to lead-acid.

Ventilate the area regularly as you would a kitchen when cooking.

Lead-acid produce some hydrogen gas but the amount is minimal when charged correctly.

Hydrogen gas becomes explosive at a concentration of 4%.

This would only be achieved if large lead-acid batteries were charged in a sealed room.


Over-charging a lead-acid battery can produce hydrogen sulfide.

The gas is colourless, very poisonous, flammable and has the odour of rotten eggs.

Hydrogen sulfide also occurs naturally during the breakdown of organic matter in swamps and sewers; it is present in volcanic gases, natural gas and some well waters.

Being heavier than air, the gas accumulates at the bottom of poorly ventilated spaces.

Although noticeable at first, the sense of smell deadens the sensation with time and potential victims may be unaware of its presence.


As a simple guideline, hydrogen sulfide becomes harmful to human life if the odour is noticeable.

Turn off the charger, vent the facility and stay outside until the odour disappears.

Social Distancing Policy

social distancing

Our clients and employees at Cooper Power must keep a physical distance between one another. Any direct contact should be avoided as much as possible.

Face Mask Policy

medical mask

Our clients are to wear a mask at all times while within our premises. Masks can help reduce the chances of transferring the virus from host to host.

Hand Sanitizer Policy

hand wash

Our clients are to use the sanitizer, which we have in our offices/warehouse, before any business is conducted. We urge you to be mindful of what you touch. The less you touch the less chance of spreading the virus.